Worker Burned in Delmarva Petroleum Explosion Identified
LINCOLN, Del. (AP) - A worker at Delmarva Petroleum in Lincoln was severely burned after fire from a chop saw ignited an explosion.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office tells local media that the explosion happened shortly after 1 p.m. Tuesday as the employee, 21-year-old Jake Slater, used a chop saw to open a waste oil tank. Sparks from the saw ignited the oil vapors and caused an explosion.
The Ellendale Volunteer Fire Company, the Milton Volunteer Fire Company and Sussex County EMS responded to the scene.
Slater was taken to Johns Hopkins Burn Center in Baltimore with first- and second-degree burns to 80 percent of his body.